The full time Director of Liturgy and Worship is responsible for promoting liturgy as the heart of the CSJ Mission/charism in our province community and Carondelet Center by providing creative, visionary, and pastoral leadership that animates “full, conscious, and active participation in liturgical celebrations called for by the very nature of the liturgy.” (Sacrosanctum Concilium #14).
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in or working towards a degree in Theology, Liturgy, Religious Studies or equivalent.
- Strong organizational and leadership skills with the ability to develop and execute short-term and long-term plans, ability to direct and inspire others, and adapt to change.
- A knowledge of liturgical practices of the Catholic Church, and an understanding of the General Instruction of the Roman Missal and other relevant documents and sacramental rites.
- Effective interpersonal communication skills with the ability to observe, question, listen, give and accept feedback.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, along with effective public relation skills.
- Sensitivity to working in a Religious community/province setting.
- A willingness to learn about the CSJ history and charism.
- Demonstrate love of liturgy.
- Active member, in good standing, of the Roman Catholic Church.
- Current knowledge of liturgical and musical norms through on-going study, research, and professional development training.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Availability to work flexible work hours, including weekends and some evenings as needed.
- Cultural competency and sensitivity to using inclusive language.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Directs the Province Liturgy Committee in order to provide leadership in planning creative liturgies in a collaborative manner.
- Develops good communication with those involved in the administration of Carondelet Center and the Province community.
- Develops an annual province liturgical calendar, coordinating the planning effort with the Province Liturgy Committee, Province Leadership Team Contact and other relevant staff.
- Initiates collaborative leadership for specific Province liturgical events, in communication with the liturgical and communication services involved.
- Plans creative and meaningful Sunday liturgies and daily Mass for the Provincial House community, while bringing an awareness of country, world and contemporary issues into planning.
- Develops and directs the Sunday liturgical musicians and ministers in order to enhance the Sunday liturgy for residents and visitors.
- Collaborates with clergy, staff, ministry leaders, volunteers and musicians to plan liturgies.
- Recruits a group of musicians who can be called upon for various liturgies: piano, instrumental, etc.
- Selects music, produces worship aides, designs art and environment, and creates liturgical scripts, in accordance with copyright laws.
- Provides liturgical formation/education/resources for the province related to liturgical changes as needed.
- Prepares annually and oversees budget for the department.
- Interviews, hires, evaluates and supervises personnel, i.e. pianist, choir director, etc.
- Schedules liturgical leaders for rituals/prayer services not covered by Province Liturgy Committee i.e. Sundays, Funerals, etc.
- Develops lists of liturgical minister volunteers
- Invites community members/associates to regularly share their gifts/expertise
- Supports the planning for sisters’ vigils and funerals with appropriate family members and sisters.
- Ensures that individuals with special needs have appropriate accommodations.
- Supervises the use, scheduling and care of the Province chapel.
- Organizes the storage and maintenance of liturgical and ritual supplies.
- Maintains the choir library and liturgical/musical resources.
- Coordinates audio/visual equipment, graphics and personnel.
This position is based in a religious residential assisted living setting that is community-focused and empowering for the residents who have a strong sense of agency in their day to day lives.
To learn more, click here.